I found this lightweight sheet last week, and thought it would be perfect for a gathered skirt. To avoid bulk at the waistline, I decided to use the top of my a-line skirt pattern (drafted for my Christmas skirt), and then gather another panel of fabric to attach at hip level. Since the waist and hem are curved on the pattern, I decided to cut the bottom of my “waistband” on a curve as well, thinking it would hang straight on, but that didn’t work as well as I would have liked. Next time I will cut it straight across.
I cut a panel across the width of the sheet (full size, about 80″), which I gathered and attached to the “waistband”. I used the same fabric in a shortened version of my a-line pattern to line the skirt, and put an invisible zipper in the side. And no, it’s not really that transparent, there was just some aggressive sunlight when I took this pic :)